Sunday, March 9, 2008

Stony Brook People - Lost and Found

Three years ago, I began a little “google search” to try and find copies of records the Stony Brook People had made. I was able to find and obtain a couple of copies, some in better shape than others.

One day a man in England contacted me. He had seen a few of my requests for our records on various websites, where I had requested information and links to aid me in my search. He was writing a book about 60’s Rock ‘N Roll bands. We corresponded over the next few months. I sent him copies of photos that I had, and gave him some history of the group. I had mentioned that we were on various television shows, but I didn’t have any copies and suspected that many of the videotapes had either been destroyed or taped over.

Imagine my surprise when he wrote to tell me he had located a copy of “Something Else”, starring John Byner (1969)– and we were one of the acts. The video quality was poor, but even so, it brought back memories.

My search at this point came to a standstill. I occasionally “googled” but there were no new leads. About two weeks ago I came across a link I hadn’t seen before, I clicked on it. It led me to Mike Gregory, a former member of the band.

Mike is now the leader of MAD DASH a Cover Rock Band From Grass Valley, CA. I contacted him, we exchange e-mails and phone calls. Through Mike I was able to find the rest of the band.


We hope to arrange a “reunion” of sorts, share and exchange photos, reel-to-reel tapes of the sessions we made, and of course our many memories.


A Brief History of The Stony Brook People

Originally, the group was formed on Long Island, NY and consisted of eight members: three women singers and five male musicians. The group was mentored by Neil Diamond and called the Penny Candy. The Penny Candy was sent to San Francisco, California to do a TV show and by chance Tommy Smothers was also on that show. Tommy really liked the group, but thought there were too many members. He said that his production company, SMO BRO Talent would like to represent the group, contingent on the reduction of the size of the group. It was at this point that a major personnel change took place. Basically, the whole group was replaced with other musicians from Long Island.

A new lead vocalist, Leah Santos was put into place. Then a new guitarist, Mike Gregory was added, along with Marc Levine on bass, Eddie Rodriguez on drums and George Reich (the new leader of the group) on keyboards and trumpet. I replaced one of the original women singers and the original male keyboard player. I also played flute. Now the group was pared down to a more manageable six-piece band and Tommy was basically happy. However, he didn’t like the name, Penny Candy and had it changed to The Stony Brook People.





At this point the new group was sent back to Los Angeles, California, where a record contract was negotiated with Columbia Records. Things were not going as well as we would have liked, musically and the decision was made to change the guitarist. We went back to Long Island and brought a new guitarist, Mike Bernardo into the fold. Now, the band was set and recording started at Columbia Records in Hollywood. We appeared on the Joey Bishop Show with Tommy Smothers. After a brief stint in Las Vegas, Nevada at the Flamingo Hotel, we became the house band at a private club called The Factory in Beverly Hills, California. The Factory was owned by Tommy Smothers, Sammy Davis, Jr., Peter Lawford, Pierre Salinger and Ron Buck. At this venue we were able to meet a huge number of celebrities and some of them helped us in various ways.

While we were performing in Las Vegas, our manager (who will remain nameless) stole most of our musical equipment, as well as our salaries and we were forced to return to Los Angeles. Tommy introduced us to Kenny Rogers, who lent us most of the equipment we needed to play at The Factory. We also met Carol Burnett, who had us perform at her gala Christmas cast party at The Factory.

At one point, our recording of “Easy To Be Hard” from the Broadway show, “Hair” was doing very well on the radio. We did a big promotional tour and all that. However, three months later, Three Dog Night released their version of “Easy To Be Hard” and for all intents and purposes, our run at fame was snuffed out, as their version rose on the charts. Clive Davis, the head of Columbia Records, at that time, decided that we were a good tax write-off and we were released from our recording contract.

After that, we settled in Los Angeles and played in various clubs. This was not very fulfilling to us and the band soon drifted apart. Some of the members stayed on the West Coast and some went back to Long Island. A few of us found work in house bands in Las Vegas and in back-up bands for more famous people. A few of us went out and found “straight” gigs and went on with our lives. And so ends the story of the Stony Brook People.

In addition to “Easy To Be Hard”, we also recorded “Just a Little Lovin”, “He’s Back Again”, and There’s Tomorrow”. Although our time together as a band was short, we do have many stories to tell. We hope to be able to share some of these stories with you.

12 comments:

CorpGovActivist said...

The design of this site is so inviting!

Not to mention the compelling story to be told.

This blog rocks!

:hug:

- Dave

Unknown said...

/wave!!!!

TheLastEditionMike said...

HAVING AN OPPORTUNITY TO GET INVOLVED WITH MOVIE BILLY JACK WAS A REAL THRILL I'LL NEVER FORGET. GETTING TO DO OUR OWN RENDITION OF "ONE TIN SOLDIER" WAS REALLY COOL AND SOMETHING I TALK ABOUT TO MY FRIENDS TO THIS DAY. PROVIDING THEY ARE OLD ENOUGH TO REMEMBER THAT MOVIE. HEY YOU GUYS WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER , IN PARTICULAR, ABOUT THAT SESSION IN HOLLYWOOD. WHAT A GREAT DAY IN STONYBROOK PEOPLE HISTORY. IF WE WERE ONLY NOT SIGNED TO COLUMBIA RECORDS AT THAT TIME, WHO KNOWS, MAYBE THAT WOULD BE US I WAS SEEING WHEN THEY DO THOSE INFOMERCIALS LATE AT NIGHT ABOUT SONGS OF THE 70"S, INSTEAD OF COVEN......THERE ARE 8 MILLION STORIES IN STONYBROOK PEOPLE HISTORY..........AND THAT WAS JUST ONE OF THEM........MIKE BERNARDO, THE LAST EDITION

Lode Line Music said...

Err. I hate to make corrections, but I played at The Factory and did some sessions at Columbia Records before the East Coast tour to Vermont and Oneonta College in New York. That was before Mike B replaced me, Mike is a great guitarist as I recall.
Those were exciting times. We met Mama Cass, who loved Joy's versions of her songs, Patty Duke, Tom Jones, Peter Lawford and partied with Tommy Smothers at his pad. We even saw Jimmy Durante one night. Wow!
Opening for The New York Rock'n'Roll Ensamble" at The Troubadore was a hoot.
I am actually glad things worked out as they did. It gave me alot more strength and the needed experience to do what I have done over the years and the things I am able to do now. It gave me the confidence to develope my own playing style and the confidence to be a successful band leader.

Also I thought I would mention the "other" first band from Long Island "The Love Garden". I am not sure but I think all of us were in that band too? I know Eddie, George and Leah were for sure and I think Marc and Joy?. We had our "trip" rituals every month as I recall. Far out! So many drugs so few brain cells...
I knew "Penny Candy" before they went to CA. I worked at Sam Goodies with John Shycun (not sure on that spelling) the keyboard player. I believe George replaced him?
Eddie and I played in bands together all through High School. "The Kodells" was the first band. Named after some kind of fabric. It seemed appropriate at the time. :)
I think I may have found Eddie on a site called reunion.com it's $36.00 for a 3 month membership. Right now I don't have that. Perhaps I will try the online phone directory again. It appears he may still be in Vegas.

Anonymous said...

That all sounds correct as I did not know all the "Penny Candy" people that well. I was the "short timer" in the middle of it all. And yes, they recorded " Easy To Be Hard" not me. We did learn to play the song pretty well though.

Anonymous said...

Michael Gregory here. I was the guitarist after "Penny Candy/Russ" and before Mike Bernardo. Who is "anonymous" would be my question?
What happened to the photo with me in it anyway?

Joy Lesem said...

Mike G: the picture with you in it is still on the blog....included with the post "I would Be Remiss". And, yes, I would also love to know who Anonymous is. He/she says they don't have an ax to grind, but it seems like they do. The fact that there were other members before us was mentioned in the Brief History. Another thing I would like clarified is where "Anonymous: heard me refer to the guitar solo on "There's Tomorrow" as "ripping". As a point of order, I have always told people that solo was performed by a great guitarist, Russ Rosenfeld.

Don Thieme said...

I just surfed by this blog. You guys did make some great music, and I actually think that I may have heard your version of "Easy to be Hard." Leah Santos had a great voice, and I wonder whether she did anything else in music after you broke up.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps Leah will pipe in at some point, but yes she's still singing, thank God. And I would like to say that her voice inspires me to this day when I work with other female vocalists. Leah is one of the best for sure! She is also a great person.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for making this wonderful blog to share the story of your band with younger generations. Thought I'd share just came across one of your 45s on E-Bay, in case you are still looking.

Term Papers said...

I have been visiting various blogs for my term papers writing research. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.