Friday, March 14, 2008

The First Time

OK, I am on a roll here, but this may be my last post for a little while as I am about to get a little busy.

Does anyone remember the very first time the original 6 got together? It was in Joy's basement if I remember correctly. I had been playing in a band with Mike Gregory, and Eddie had been working a day job with George. One day at work, George threw a cardboard box at Eddie and that is how they met. After getting to know one another, they decided to get a band together. George knew Leah and Joy, and Eddie knew Mike and Mike knew me.

The first practice was fun, running through tunes we already knew. The basic songs everyone knew on Long Island were  Midnight Hour, Knock On Wood, Hold On I'm Coming, and Respect. We did those pretty quickly and got into some other stuff. Hey Jude by the Beatles  was awesome because we each sang a verse. 6 members, 6 singers! We also did some other Motown tunes and knocked out a 4 set dance club selection pretty quickly. Then came our first audition in Farmingdale at The College Barn. And who showed up to go with us and give Leah a ride? One of the Chambers Brothers in a limo! And we all went to White Castle for gut busters afterward.

We got the gig, 3 nights a week, but there was a slight problem. I was 16 and had no phony ID. Someone came up with a bogus draft card for me and I was in. The drinking age then was 18. One night the cops raided the place, and Mike Gregory, when asked by one of Long Island's finest, pointed out the band members by name and used my real name, not the one on the phony ID. Luckily the cop didn't hear him very well and believed my age after checking me out. No one had to bail me out of jail.

We played a variety of dance clubs until George and Leah were offered a gig with the original Penny Candy. Traitors! But who could blame them, it was a shot at the big leagues. They staged a coup, threw out everyone in the band, and got The Love Garden back together as SBP. Mom, Dad, I am going to California, see ya!

We rehearsed at The Starwood, and then at SIR where we saw Paul Revere and the Raiders in the next room. We were Where The Action Is!

And the rest isn't history! See ya real soon.

Love and Music,
Marc

1 comment:

Joy Lesem said...

Marc: I do remember that first rehearsal in the basement of my house in Plainview! And, boy howdy, do I remember the audition for the College Barn. Willie Chambers and Leah came to my house to pick me up for that audition in Willie's limo and the neighbors went wild. My brother still has the autograph Willie gave him. I also remember that the college kids from Farmingdale college, across the road from the club, all ran back to their dorms to get albums for Willie to autograph. If I remember correctly, we each got $8 a night for that gig. And do you remember how Eddie and I had to set up on a piece of plywood on top of the pool table? I guess that was a little better than having all the drunken college kids spill beer on you down at floor level.....LOL. Thanks again for keeping the memories alive!!! Love ya.