Saturday, March 15, 2008

The fire in Malibu/Topanga

Hi everyone! I've never done this type of thing before but here it goes. I'm Leah Santos, lead singer for the Stonybrook People. I didn't really like that name and my recall on how we got that name is vague.
The band was living in Woodland Hills when the fires happened starting in Malibu and I remember looking outside of my bedroom window because I had the bedroom that faced the front of the house, and watching the fire coming down the hills towards our house!
It was scary and that is all I really recall!!
It is nice to be back in touch with almost everyone from the band and I'm sure we'll all find each other sooner than later.
I speak with George Reich very often and he is looking great as well as being a great person and talented musician and engineer. Joy, bravo to you for all this effort you have made in making all this blog stuff happen. I'm still learning my way around computers!
I'm getting ready to finish up a Blues based musical CD with my producer/guitarist, Britt Phillips who will be moving to Austin, TX in the next few months. My CD should be done by the fall of this year because Britt is getting situated in Austin first doing other projects.
Back to the Stonybrook People. I loved that whole period of my musical life as our music was strong, we had 6 singers in a 6 piece band and that in itself was not common. We had a great leader in George Reich. God, we even dragged Marc Levine, the bass player out of high school to do this project. Eddie Rodriquez was even today, one of the best drummers I ever worked with. And Michael Gregory and Michael Bernardo were both different but great guitarists in their own right. Marc Levine was and still is a fabulous bass player. Joy Lesem played real sweet piano and I loved her flute approach. And of course, there was the great George Reich, talented and really just knew how to bring out the best in all of us in that band. Even today, I'm sure George engineers and brings out the best in the talent he gets to work with today as an engineer and musician in his own recording studio.
It was a very unique band with fond memories of playing at the beach clubs in the South Bay area of Los Angeles County.
I will come back when I have more to think about and share., Leah Santos

2 comments:

Joy Lesem said...

Hey Leah: Great job on your first post! I remember that fire. I was at the other side of the Valley at Tommy Andriola's parents' house and saw all the commotion on the news. I rushed back to the house to see some of the guys on the roof, wetting it down with a garden hose! Scary times! Im' very happy that you have joined us with posting to our blog!! Keep the memories coming!
Love ya!

Anonymous said...

HELLO LEAH.....THANKS FOR BEING PART OF MY LIFE AND SOME OF THE GREATEST TIMES I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED. YOU WERE A GREAT DYNAMIC SINGER WITH LOTS OF STAGE PRESENCE. I'LL TRY AND REMEMBER SOME OF THE GREAT AND CRAZY THINGS WE WERE ALL INVOLVED WITH AND RELAY MY STORIES WITH EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THE BAND MEMBERS. I DO LIKE TO SINGLE OUT INDIVIDUAL MEMBERS WITH A PARTICULAR STORY OR SITUATION. JUST SQUEEZING YOUR FACE TO SEE THE "DUCKIE FACE" WAS PRICELESS. REMEMBER THAT LEAH. I KNOW U DO. LOVE YA.....MIKE BERNARDO.....THELASTEDITIONMIKE