Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Hello Old Friends

I have some great memories of being in this band. We did some cool college gigs, opened for some name acts, did some fun recording, lived together in a house in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles, had a few Spinal Tap experiences (girlfriend manages the band, etc. etc. )....we did make some bad decisions but all in all it was a great learning experience for a first time run at the money. We also had a lot of hair. Oh, and by the way, that girlfriend who managed the band for a while...Donna something was it?....I ran into her in Las Vegas and snuck her into a Barry Manilow show when I was playing bass for him. She sat at the house mixing desk and told everyone within earshot that she used to manage me!

Some people who have left us all too soon: Bob Rosenfeld, Beverlee Vance, and Jerry Napolitano.

I did have the good fortune to run into Tommy Smothers twice. Once I worked in the piano trio backing up Tommy and Dicky at a corporate show at the Disneyland Hotel. And once I took my parents backstage at a Broadway theatre when the Brothers were starring in a show. Of course my Mom gave Tommy grief for introducing me on the Joey Bishop Show as a high school drop out....and honors student. "You know, Tommy, our family did not appreciate that!" and other words to that effect. Lots of laughter followed.

It was my first time in an airplane, my first time away from home, and the first time I had a valuable Fender Bass stolen. To this day I am convinced that Davy Crockett (his real name if you can believe that) had us set up and arranged for Eddie's van to be broken into. And if anyone can find Eddie, that would be great. If Eddie could find Eddie, that would be even better.

So, raise your hand when I call your name:  Bob Kolowitz, Gayle Phillips, Jesse James, John Parker, Matchstick, Debbie Doyle, Reid King, Diana Valentine, Larry Messenger, Beth Winchester, Don Dwyer, Frank Zappa, Herb Cohen, Jim Dandy, and everyone from the cast of Hair in Las Vegas. And everyone else who came in contact with the band; I would love to hear more names from the past.

That is it for today. I can't wait to see the video that Joy has sent out and wish you all health and wealth.

Yours in lower frequencies,
Marc

3 comments:

Joy Lesem said...

Dear Marc: Good on you!!! Wow, you listed some people's names that have been lost in my ever-failing memory. Another good reason to have this blog and have everyone post to it. Did you see the counter at the bottom of the blog? Only a few days in and we have over 34,000 hits! Can't wait to read more of your memories.

Anonymous said...

HEY MARC GREAT READING I LOVE THIS STUFF. FIRST ONE QUESTION. WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THE BAND WE PLAYED WITH IN VEGAS SKY ROOM WITH THAT GUITARIST DIMITRIUS OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. ITS REALLY BOTHERING ME. THEN LET ME SEE......I DON'T KNOW IF YOU REMEMBER THSE PEOPLE BUT HERE GOES.....LINDA THOMPSON{IN HER LEOTARD CAT SUIT}. MELITA, TOM LAUPHLIN,JINX, GYPSY, DEE DEE, BONNIE GARCIA AND WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ARMENIAN CHICKS NAME? DARK SKIN LONG DARK HAIR ALWAYS AT OUR HOUSE, WELL I'LL COME UP WITH MORE I IMAGINE......MAYBE IT WAS DEE OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT.HAS ANYONE EVER SEN "THEY SHOOT HORSES DON'T THEY" SINCE THAT FATEFUL NIGHT. BOY DID THAT SUCK OR WHAT. I TRULY LOVE ALL YOU GUYS AND DON'T REGRET ANYTHING WE DID OR IT WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN STONYBROOK PEOPLE....THANKS FOR EVERYTHING ....MIKE B

Deb D said...

Took a walk down memory lane and came across your blog site.
Nice surprise to have met with success.
Not to presume anything, but if by naming Debbie Doyle you meant me Debbie Darden (aka Deb Darden-Munsell), my hand is raised.
I was a former assistant roadie that provided temporary lodging in a roach infested apartment in West L.A. after your manager problems in Vegas, before the big white house in Woodland Hills.
Flying to Vegas with George to pick up your last paycheck. Green automatic Volkswagen. Hawaiian Punch. Linda Ronstadt having showcased at The Factory during your time as the house band. The pool tables there. The house DJ that was such a good dancer. Trips to the beach with Leah where she and I met (and smoked with), Lou Alcindor and a football friend (name?), but didn"t realize who it was until afterwards. Peter Lawford calling on Leah.
These are just a few of my memories of those days.
Best wishes to all of you. Hope all is well with you and yours. Deb