Friday, March 14, 2008

Memorable Factory Experiences

My first thought is when I saw a TV show hosted by Paul Newman on the club called the Factory. Showing the audience its pool tables and tiffany lamps hanging over them. That was like a warm-up for me. Then after joining the band, the famous club became a reality and it was just exhilerating. Playing there week after week always seemed to have a surprise here and there. Now I stand to be corrected but I thought it was Carol Burnetts birthday party we played at whenPaul Lynde came dancing over to the stage during our rendition of Season Of The Witch and proceeded to ask me "When is this song going to end" in his ever so famous Paul Lynde style. Well I just cracked up cause he was sweating so much due mostly to the suede vest with the 2ft. fringe hanging down. That same night I also remember some chick in a big floppy hat dancing and starting to take her top off revealing herself in all her glory. Eddie tried so hard to see through the cymbals. Boy was that funny! Then there was those free dinners which usually consisted of those 1lb burgers.......remember that. There was that night that the Donna and her husband , whose name I have forgotten, treated us to a chateau briand dinner. Wow was that great. Then there were all those celebrities just coming in and out of the club. Meeting Tommy for the first time was unbelievable [Smothers] that is. Remember the Street, a store right outside the entrance of the Factory where you walked down a simulated cobblestone street and shopped inside specialty shops one being owned and run by Davy Jones of the Monkees. I brought my sister Janet and her friend Michelle there and introduce them to Mr. Jones. Boy did I feel cool. I guess that was part of being in a great rock band. By the way me and Michelle got to know each other pretty good after that one. I know certain songs are associated with certain times and places and the one that pops right away into my head is "Raindrops Keep Fallen On My Head" by BJ Thomas and What the World Needs Now, Jackie DeShannon. Well all I can say now is great club, great atmosphere, great songs and great band. Just another story in Stony Brook People history. Peace out all my fellow band members and friends..........Mike

3 comments:

Marc Levine said...

We used to play Let The Sunshine In, Aquarius, Put A Little Love In Your Heart, and you would do 15 minutes of Give Peace a Chance with every impression known to mankind.

Marc

Anonymous said...

APPARENTLY THE ROCK STAR LIFESTYLE HAS NOT DEPRAVATED YOUR MEMORY. GIVE PEACE A CHANCE IS SOMETHING I DON'T BELIEVE I WOULD HAVE RECOLLECTED. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THAT DIDDY MARC. LATER ...MIKE, KIRK, BURT, JAMES, JOHN, CRAZY, ED, ETC,ETC,ETC...GET IT? I BET YOU WILL.

Joy Lesem said...

Yo Mike: It was Carol Burnett's Christmas cast party that we played at. Do you remember when she came up to the stage and told us to get in line for the buffet before the "help" got there? She was really so nice. I met her some years later and she remembered us and was still a warm, gracious lady.