Sunday, April 20, 2008

Tommy Smothers and the Swimming Kitten

SmoBro Talent managed the Stony Brook People. Dick Smothers was usually busy with other projects and his car racing, so we mainly dealt with Tommy Smothers. On many occasions, the group hung out with Tommy at his house in the Hollywood Hills. I should mention that Tommy rented this particular house from Robert Montgomery (the father of Elizabeth Montgomery of “Bewitched” fame). As with many houses located in the Hollywood Hills, this house was cantilevered over the edge of a hill. After driving up the winding road to the house you would see a very non-descript wooden fence and the garage door. Housed in the garage was a dark green bathtub Porsche (probably a mid-60’s Porsche Speedster) and a customized 1956 Chevy Nomad 2-Door Wagon. To enter the house you had to go through a gate in the fence. Once through the gate you found yourself walking on a stone pathway, which led to the front door of the house. To the right of the pathway, among the plants in the lush landscaping, was the top of a stone waterfall that emptied into the built-in swimming pool, which was also cantilevered over the edge of the hill. If I’m not mistaken, I think I remember Marc Levine actually diving off the top of the waterfall into the pool below.

On one fine afternoon, we went up to meet with Tommy and generally hang out. We found Tommy in the swimming pool, being very careful not to get his hair wet. :) As we all sat down on the patio furniture next to the pool we noticed that Tommy was not alone in the pool. Swimming right next to him was a very small kitten. Of course, this freaked us out and we asked Tommy why the kitten was in the pool. He explained that he and his girlfriend had discovered the kitten swimming in a flooded area somewhere (I just can’t remember exactly where) and rescued it. After bringing it home, Tommy noticed that the kitten would pace up and down next to the pool every time Tommy would go for a swim. Eventually, Tommy picked up the kitten and took it into the pool with him. To his amazement, the kitten began to swim right next to him and didn’t seem to be in any distress. From then on, Tommy would have the kitten accompany him every time he went for a swim. I do believe that some of the local TV stations picked up on the story and broadcasted film of the kitten swimming with Tommy.

So there you have the story of Tommy Smothers and the Swimming Kitten. More stories about our experiences with Tommy will appear on our blog in the near future. Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Marc Levine said...

I remember the house and the pool. I do not remember diving into the pool from the waterfall, but I don't doubt that I was capable of that. I remember the pool table inside the house. I remember Dickie's upright bass being at that house. I remember listening to an advance copy of the Beatles' Abby Road LP at that house. I remember Tommy reading Linda Goodmans' Astrology book to us at the dinner table. I think that was what got Leah into the whole metaphysical thing. I remember George and Leah went to a party at that house and met a whole bunch of rock stars. Many people don't know that Tommy was the other guitar player on John Lennon's Give Peace A Chance record.

As for the kitten, Tommy took her on either The Joey Bishop Show or Johnny Carson and demonstrated the swimming ability....that may have been our opening act on Joey Bishop.

All the other details are proof of Joy's amazing memory and eye for detail. Here's a question....what was Tommy's girlfriend's name at the time? Could have been Judy but I am not sure.

Joy Lesem said...

Hey Marc: I remember almost all of the details that you mentioned. I did forget about the advanced copy of Abbey Road.....goon on ya! I do believe that all of us were at a party at Tommy's for Donovan and I have a great story to post about that in the near future. Stay tuned. And thanks for your post and comments.