Sunday, April 20, 2008

Earthquake!!!

I was sleeping peacefully in my bed in the house on Providencia, which the whole band shared with various rotating house visitors. I always went to bed with my little transistor radio playing music on the local rock station. It was sometime in the late hours/early morning transition of time that I was woken up by the sensation of violent shaking. I thought someone had grabbed me by the shoulders and was shaking me as hard as they could!

After the shaking stopped I went out into the living room. Our house guests who were sleeping out there said the chandelier was swinging from ceiling to ceiling. I don't think the house sustained any damage, but I believe we were all pretty affected by the experience. That was my first major earthquake, and years later the Northridge quake was a reminder of that first one I was in. It is a fact of life that earthquakes happen here on the west coast, but you always remember your first.

2 comments:

Joy Lesem said...

Hey Marc: I remember that quake. I do believe that my brother, Lee, was visiting us at that time. He was really freaked out by the quake and soon after that episode he left California to settle back on Long Island, where he still lives to this day. I do remember the retaining wall behind my downstairs bedroom cracking and caving in a bit. I also think the wall in my bedroom sustained a few cracks, as well. I think the quake happened in early February (9th?).

Anonymous said...

I do remember that Budah incense holder on the t.v. moved to the point it alsmost fell off the top of the console of the television. I also remember a long piece of moulding in the corner of my bedroom fell right next to me while I was asleep. Yup very scary.